11/18/2008

Hysplit model useful for back and forward trajectory

Hysplit-Hybrid Single Particle Lagrangian Integrated Trajectory Model is a transport and dispersion model developed by Air Resource Laboratory (ARL) of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). This model is used to generate trajectories. Both back air trajectory and forward trajectory using meteorological data. I use Hysplit to generate back air trajectories. I am analyzing air samples from Cheeka peak, WA. I wanted to know, which route the air sampled took before reaching the sampling site. And where the sampled air in particular day spend time in 10 days before I trapped it. Hysplit model helps to understand this. Using Hysplit, now I know how many hours my air sample spent in Asia or California or Willamette Valley before coming to pacific north west sampling site.

Details about Hysplit can be found here.


Hysplit forward trajectory is shown in figure on right. Forward trajectories are helpful specially to predict the spread of hazardous material in the atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please type your comment in the box below.